Landlords portraying themselves as "victims" is just a smokescreen to destroy Tenant rights

A serious and sophisticated place to discuss politics, off topic issues, and landlord/tenant issues and news in depth. All viewpoints welcome. Forum is moderated.
LindaH

Landlords portraying themselves as "victims" is just a smokescreen to destroy Tenant rights

#1 Unread post by LindaH » January 10th, 2020, 12:58 am

We continue to see the pro-landlord media talk about landlords claiming "oh, I'm a victim! I can't get a quickie date at the Landlord and Tenant Board to kick out that single mom who is a couple days behind or that elderly couple who I want to use the "renovictions" fraud to kick them to the street so I can raise the rent by $500/month".

The reality is:

1. The vacancy rate is historically low

2. Housing is a Human Right

3. We already had the disaster of "quickie" evictions under Mike Harris in the late 1990s and it was a sham and harmed our entire social fabric.

4. Why are the number of adjudicators down? Because before it was a "bloated bureaucracy"...the same type of bureaucracy these right wing landlords complain about when it comes to hiring teachers, nurses, or funding autism therapy. You see they only want tax money to go to THEIR CAUSES.

5. If landlords are in such "Oh I'm a victim" status, why not just sell? It's not your god given right to be able to "lord" over vulnerable tenants and take your monthly pound of flesh.

It's time the media wakes us to these landlords cries of "wolf". They just want to turn back the clock and take ways hard earned Tenant rights in Ontario.

evicted

Re: Landlords portraying themselves as "victims" is just a smokescreen to destroy Tenant rights

#2 Unread post by evicted » January 10th, 2020, 1:05 am

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »