I called 911 on my Chinese landlord for harassment and threats

We have recruited Tenant Community Leaders across Canada to help provide a helpful & informative forum for verified tenants. This is a safe space for Tenants to seek help & communicate with one another in a mature & non-confrontational arena. Tenants contributors only.
Tika

I called 911 on my Chinese landlord for harassment and threats

#1 Unread post by Tika » April 21st, 2019, 12:10 am

Really appreciate all the excellent advice from other tenants here. Not just advice, but the warmth and encouragement from the community here has added to my confidence and spirit of "fighting back" against bad landlords.

When you have people watching your back, spurring you on, providing you the legal facts to use as a weapon, and even providing me with blueprints on how to win, it's a life-changing experience and you all will forever have my appreciation and love.

Your help was incredible:
Can my landlord stop me from having guests?

Answer

No. You have the right to decide who you want to invite into your home, just as homeowners do. If your landlord tries to control who can visit you, this could be considered harassment.

https://stepstojustice.ca/questions/hou ... ing-guests
No only is the landlord not permitted to restrict the occupants that share the unit with the tenant, the landlord may be held financially responsible for interfering with the tenant's right to have people live in the unit with them. By example, in a case called Cunningham v. Whitby Christian Non-Profit Housing Corp. the landlord served a Notice of Trespass to Property against the fiancée of the tenant purporting to prohibit the fiancée from entering on the property. The Court, in this case, held that the landlord's action constituted a breach of the landlord's obligations to the tenant and the tenant was awarded a 15 per cent rent abatement for the landlord's conduct.
So had a bunch of relatives arrive last night and this morning and was so happy to pick them up at Pearson. Of course they will stay with me and celebrate the holiday as family.

At about 4ish the landlord who lives downstairs came up and said "You can only have four guests and I hear you have more! This breaks the lease agreement and is illegal". I told him to calm down and get out of my face. I explained I had relatives and friends staying with me as my guests and that was my legal right.

As advised by the experienced tenants here I told him: "IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM HOW DARE YOU TRY TO INTIMIDATE ME. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU CAN FOLLOW THE LEGAL PROCESS AND I WILL SEE YOU AT THE LANDLORD AND TENANT BOARD!"

I shut the door at that was that.

By de-escalating the situation it was now time to enjoy by holiday and we are all enjoying our wine and cheese and get ready for jerk chicken and a traditional holiday dinner.

All good right?

Wrong.

A couple of hours ago there was a knock on the door and the Chinese landlord was furious. His face was red and behind him was his little wife.

He screamed "you breaking the rules!" And "We have baby downstairs who needs to sleep and you have too many people! I want them to get out now!"

I felt threatened and as advised I shut the door and called 911.

Quickly two officers arrived, including a female officer. I welcomed them in and explained the situation.

They were quick to be on my side.

They said they would warn the landlord not to harass us. And if it happened again I should call them and they will charge the landlord.

Thank you my friends for helping me learn my rights and not be intimidated or to 'feel guilty' when I'm only doing the right, legal thing.

I'm now enjoying a great week-end and we are not disturbing anyone as music and wine and weed is part of life!

I will now be filing a harassment charge against my landlord on Tuesday. 8-)

Laura

Re: I called 911 on my Chinese landlord for harassment and threats

#2 Unread post by Laura » April 21st, 2019, 12:36 am

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »